Friday, May 9, 2008

Photo Hunt-Theme: Share Any Photo

TnChick hosts the Photo Hunt here.

I'm taking advantage of the "Any Photo" theme to post a couple of quilt tops that I finished recently for the American Hero Quilts project. They will be quilted by long-arm machine quilters to be given to injured military personnel.

Without regard to politics, AHQ volunteers create homemade quilts for troops in military hospitals with injuries from the war. The comfort of a homemade quilt and the love and care behind it contributes to the healing.

From the initial delivery of one hundred quilts to Madigan Army Medical Hospital near Tacoma after a week long quilt-a-thon organized by my friend Sue on Vashon Island, the effort has expanded to thousands of quilters, and thousands of quilts have been delivered to the wounded.

Besides American Hero Quilts, there are several other projects enlisting quilters in projects in support of our military. Quilts of Valor has also presented thousands of quilts to the wounded from the War on Terror. The Home of the Brave Quilt Project makes memorial quilts for the families of fallen heroes.

As the Quilts of Valor website says: "it's not about politics, it's about people."

All three organizations can always use your assistance--even if you are not a quilter. Check their websites to see what you can do.

28 comments:

 gmirage said...

Like those patterns! Happy photohunting!

Anonymous said...

Nice quilts - I have several eFriends in Canada who are quilters.

Sarge Charlie said...

what a nice post for a photo hunt

Dragonstar said...

All this quilting must take a lot of work. It's a craft-form of which I have no experience whatever. I love the results though, so maybe I should look into it. Is it all hand-sewn, or do you use a machine?

My Shelfari bookcase holds books I want to read. Maybe my family will take the hint! I've not read any Cornelia Funke yet - a treat in store for me.

Hootin Anni said...

That last one I especially like the design AND colors.

For my photo hunt, my sweet cheeks and I are celebrating our 40 year wedding anniversary. Stop by for a piece of our wedding cake.

Happy weekend.

Anonymous said...

great post

Will you visit mine Thanks

Juliana said...

nice post with info also :D

Mine in here Thanks

Anonymous said...

Those quilts are beautiful works of art! I tried it only once, many years ago, but I'm totally lacking the patience it requires.
Great photohunt choice!! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post and you did an absolutely beautiful job on your quilt top!

Sandy said...

These are simply beautiful. You are so kind to do this.

JesieBlogJourney said...

Great job on the quilts for a good cause. God bless.

SabineM said...

lovely. I admire the work of quilts, though I have never had the patience!

Carver said...

Those are so beautiful and what a wonderful project. Happy mother's day weekend.

imac said...

Beautiful Quilts - great post and a lot of hard work.

Daryl said...

First .. I LOVE your photo.. its exactly as I pictured you .. really it is. Secondly thank you for your lovely comments on my blog .. writing one of those posts is not as easy as I thought it would be but in the end it really did help .. as do the comments you and others left.

Thank you again

AND I love these quilts!

:-Daryl

Barb said...

Speaking as a former quilter (no time anymore) these are so wonderful, and I know thier reciptients will treasure them.

jenny said...

Very nice. I know there's a lot of work in those stitches, so i thank you for giving it all away for the sake of our wounded soldiers.

Have a good weekend!

the mother of this lot said...

You are so clever Katney! And I love your new profile photo!

Paulie said...

Beautiful work! We make quilts for the VA hospital here. We also make lap robes for them. None are so beautiful as yours tho . . . well, maybe a few.

Barbara said...

Beautiful quilts - you are very talented. Good cause too.

-tnchick- said...

That's some pretty amazing work and what a SUPER thing to be a part of. It must feel so good to know that your work will be cherish and loved.

Pulchritude said...

that is so noble of you to do that for the wounded, such great cause..
keep it up and Godbless...

Unknown said...

Nice quilts Katney!

Now i must out with my camera and try to catch someting odd :-)

Have a nice sunday.

sammawow said...

Those quilts are absolutely beautiful! And what a good cause!

jams o donnell said...

Wow Katney that's an amazing quilt. I love the patterns very much

SnoopyTheGoon said...

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Good of you to drop by our place, and have a great week.

Colin Campbell said...

Very beautiful. We bought some quilts similar to those when we were in Thailand. So much work and probably done by hand. I no longer have them, but have strong memories of them.

Gypsy at heart said...

Love your quilts! Our group has the same sort of project which we have been involved in for about 5 years. We take our quilt to Ft. Hood and San Antonio.