Wednesday, May 7, 2008

ABC Wednesday -- P

You can get the details of ABC Wednesday at Mrs. Nesbitt's.
She sponsors the meme and keeps track of all the participants.

Back to Mt. Rainier National Park for Pp. I just realized that I could post anything from the Park and it would be a P.

But instead I give you Spreading Phlox. This grows extensively in the high meadows from late June to the end of the season. A great ground cover that helps to keep the soil in place, the domestic version is called Creeping Phlox. Sometimes it appears to be pink or pale lavender, but always fades to white.
Cow Parsley also grows in the meadows in July and August. I have to look closely at it because it resembles both Sitka Valerian and Yarrow.
I used an August picture of Pasqueflower for A here because it is also called Anenome. Here is Pasqueflower in late June. Check the difference.
We camp with the grandkids every summer for a few days. Sometimes there are four, sometimes eight; I'm hoping that this summer there might be eleven or even twelve of them. In 2006 we camped at Ipsut Creek on the far northwest corner of the Park. On our hike to Carbon Glacier, we were resting on the trail and this fellow joined us. He is a Pika, and though you sometimes see them scurrying through the rocky places, it was definitely a treat to have him stop to pose for my camera.
At the end of my J post, I showed you the New visitor center at Paradise which will be completed this fall to replace the aging Henry M. Jackson Visitor Center. This National Park Volunteer got a chance to tour Inside new visitor center and shared some of his pictures and thoughts.
~
Nearby stands the Paradise Inn, which has been undergoing restoration work over the last two years.

This National Historic Building is a delightful place to stay. It is our choice for our anniversary--either to stay or to eat in the wonderful restaurant. (Since we couldn't celebrate our 40th there last August because of the construction, we had to appease ourselves with a cruise to Alaska.) It will reopen this month.

~

And so ends the tour of Mount Rainier National Park's Ps for today.

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the personal tour of the park, and all. It looks like great fun, with lots of photo ops!

Anonymous said...

Well this is certainly one of my favorite P posts. That Pika is so darn cute. There are so many amazing sites to see in good ole Washington state...

Gerald (SK14) said...

a perfect procession of peaceful plants

Leslie: said...

Great photos today! That little pika looks like he'd make a cute pet. Then again, maybe not. lol Love the flowers! :D

Neva said...

What a great post! Such a variety of "P"s!
Mine are posted!
Neva 1
Neva 2

Juliana RW said...

beautiful shots. I like paradise in pic :D

My P post in here Thanks

Christy Woolum said...

What a great collection of P words. I can't wait for creeping phlox. It is one of my favorite spring flowers.

photowannabe said...

thanks for the tour of the Park. Good choice for the letter P.
I never saw a Pika before. Interesting critter.

Paulie said...

Perfect post for P!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Brillliant virtual tour. Well done.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic park.
Always pleasent to visit there via your photo's.

FO - 2 said...

Adventurous walk in the park together with you.
Paradise Inn looks like a beautiful place.
Great P`s! :)

Ida

imac said...

You have some great shots for the letter P today. Great Post.

Pop over and see my Pot

Rune Eide said...

I didn't now there were that many Plants starting with P, but the Pika took the Price!

DigitalShutterMania said...

Very beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing the great ABC Wednesday posting.

Andrea said...

Nice "P" post

Silly Goose said...

Very cool [lace to visit, Katney. I hope it ALWAYS remains a park so the public can enjoy its beauty,

Pernille said...

Very nice P's. I love Pika, he's so cute:)

Have fun:)

Texas Travelers said...

This is probably my favorite post of the day.
National Parks and Wildflowers.

Great Post and Photos.

Thanks for the recent visits, you are welcome anytime.
I try to visit regularly, but don't always leave a comment.

Troy

Jan said...

A great P post. A late Happy Anniverary to you, I'm sure you enjoyed that cruise.

Daryl said...

Phew .. what a Pretty Pasal of P .. and they're all PHOTOGRAHS!

:-Daryl

Mrs Mac said...

Oh that pica is soooo cute! LOL!
The pasque flower is beautiful.

Petunia said...

Great P post! Cute Pika!

nonizamboni said...

What a nice array of 'p' words you shared. Loved the Pika and the Jackson visitor center in the park. [When I lived in Spokane I remember Gov. Jackson was referred to as 'straight-arrow' by the lawyers I worked for. hmmmmm]
Thanks for sharing all the beauty!

Unknown said...

What a great compilation of photos here Katney! Thanks for the tour of the park.

Cath said...

More wonderful pictures from Katney! These are great and it is wonderful to compare and contrast from previous posts.

I love the pika. How do you manage to get so close? Or have you got a fantastic zoom on that camera? I am really struggling to get close to wildlife (to be fair, I am often disturbed and it is rarely quiet!) Is the pika rodent? He looks it - sort of beaver or otter - ish.

Thanks for coming by mine again. I really appreciate the support.

david mcmahon said...

Lovely selection of work. Never heard of cow parsley before!!

You'll love Alaska. There is a fair bit of my Alaskan travel writing around on the net.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

The place with the mountain seem suberb to me!!!! Great view!

Please feel welcome and visit my ABC P from....

JoAnn's D Eyes

Jane said...

Great P's!

becky aka theRAV said...

Great P post, Katney.

mrsnesbitt said...

(Phew! Just catching up having spent a few days away on the motorbike catching some sunshine....sorry I am late)

Great choice for an anniversary!
20 years for us in a few weeks....T