Wednesday, April 30, 2008

ABC Wednesday-O

O is for Ohanapecosh and Owyhigh Lakes.

Click the logo for the home of ABC Wednesday
where Mrs. Nesbitt hosts ABC Wednesday.

Trail at Ohanapecosh
One of the major habitat zones at Mt. Rainier National Park is Ohanapecosh. (It's pronounced just like it's spelled. Accent the han and the cosh.) Ohanepecosh is an area of lowland old growth forest. The characteristics of old growth forest are that it is ODD.
footbridge on the Ohanepecosh River
No, the forest really isn't strange at Ohanapecosh. ODD stands for old, dead, and diverse. The Old Growth forest is full of old trees. Included among them is the Grove of the Patriarchs just north of the Ohanapecosh area near the Stevens Canyon entrance to the park. When my third grade class went to the Grove of the Patriarchs, we circled one of the trees holding hands. That's how big that one was.

~

The old growth forest is full of dead and decaying material which enriches the soil. You will frequently find "nurse logs", (now I'm going to have to go find a picture of a nurse log, but I will post it some other time.) decaying fallen trees which have young trees growing from them. Snags provide habitat for dozens if not hundreds of critters.

~

The old growth forest is diverse. You would be amazed at how many different varieties of trees, ferns, flowers, mushrooms, mosses, lichens, birds, insects, and other critters live there.

Ohanapecosh River

There were around 200 campsites in the forest at Ohanapecosh Campground. Campsite 26 in the C used to be to the right of this sign. On November 6, 2006, 18 inches of rain fell within 36 hours.

And this happened.
About half the C Loop went the way of C26--at least for the 2007 season.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My hiking book says it is about a 3½ hour round trip hike to
Owyhigh Lakes (pronounced o-I-hi) from the White River Road. NOT!
~
It is a beautiful hike, though. We did it in August.

From the Eastside Road, the following October, it took us about five hours to reach the lakes. Autumn had fallen on the meadows. This was about a month before the floods.

30 comments:

Rune Eide said...

Some hike! Looks like home both weather wise and otherwise, but had problems with names...

FO - 2 said...

A BEAUTIFUL place! :)
Great shots.

Ida

Kyanite said...

Terrific O, really enjoyed the photo's & the read.
It reminded me of my time in BC & on Vancouver Island. Went on some great hikes there.

Sharon said...

This is so interesting, thanks for sharing. I loved the pictures for both Os of your post. I would like to be able to walk in your park.

imac said...

Such beautiful photos Katney.


Please fly over to visit my O.Post.

Anonymous said...

I want to stroll in that wood. It´s just beautyful.Hear the birds and just relax from the city nois. Very very very fine photos.

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures. I would love to vist there.

Neva said...

Very beautiful place. I was in the Muir Woods just north of San Francisco a few months ago....these forests are amazing.

Neva's ABC
Neva's ABC2

Liz Hinds said...

But you don't tell us how to pronounce the really hard one!

Lovely places, lovely photos as always.

Anonymous said...

Amazing sites and what great names! I's good to hear from real hikers just how long these hikes really take :)

Miss_Yves said...

Fascinating post, forest and photos !
Miss Yves

Lilli & Nevada said...

That is a great place i will have to book mark that one.

Suburbia said...

What a beautiful place!
Nice pictures

Silly Goose said...

Your photos make me want to don my hiking boots. Beautiful!

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow! I agree with Runee! What a hike, you must be very fit!

Petunia said...

I was looking for new places for my jogging and here I forund it! I would love to jog here.
Great and beautiful post:)

Jan said...

Makes me want to get out my hiking boots. Great 'O' post. Thank you, as always.

Michele said...

Oh yes, lovely area. I'm familiar with woods such as these and they are breathtaking. You can find some beautiful areas here and all kinds of neat and wonderful discoveries in the forest! Beautiful photos, great shots!

Dragonstar said...

Great post, so informative and decorative as well. That second lake looks like a jewel.

Texas Travelers said...

Love this post.
In fact, I like all your posts.
Nice stories.
Nice photography.
All interesting.

I am adding you to my "Check it Out - Favorites" Blog roll.

My "O" is up,
Come visit.

Troy and Martha,
Texas Travelers

PS: I'll be back a little later, after this "O" madness is over.

Barbara said...

Interesting post and what beautiful places to go hiking.

Unknown said...

What a great compilation of photos here. Great O post today Katney.

Anonymous said...

That makes me dream...

david mcmahon said...

My sort of retreat - haven for any photographer.

Wouldn't be able to pronounce it, though!!

Leslie: said...

This was a fascinating post - and you live not far from me! We have old growth forests here, too, but it's a bit of a drive to get to them.

Patty said...

Beautiful photos and a very interesting post. Thanks for sharing with us.

AVCr8teur said...

What beautiful scenery, but those locational names are a mouthful. That bridge is very narrow, I guess only one person can cross at a time.

Thanks for your comment about Old Sacramento. Hope you do make it there someday. There's also a great railroad museum nearby.

Kjersti said...

I love your O-post, you have sow many nice pictures.

VP said...

Oh that is lovely. I Like it when people show us around their place :)

Paulie said...

I love your tour guide trips! I will catch up on O next week when I return to writing in my blog. . .