Sunday, December 14, 2008

Not a psalm today

As we prepare for Christmas, we watch as Mary is visited by an angel:
.
In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
.
Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God." Luke 1: 25-30

.
After Gabriel tells her she will be the Mother of God, Mary goes to visit her cousin Elizabeth, who rejoices with her.
.
We respond today with words from Mary's canticle in answer to Elizabeth's greeting.
.
R. (Is 61:10b) My soul rejoices in my God.
.
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,

for he has looked upon his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
R. My soul rejoices in my God.
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
R. My soul rejoices in my God.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he has remembered his promise of mercy,

R. My soul rejoices in my God.
.
Luke 1: 46-48, 49-50, 53-54
.
Photos
>bell at Mission Inn, Riverside, CA
>bird eyeing our lunch at Mission Inn
>Canyonlands National Park, Utah
>waterfowl on Manzanita Lake, Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA
>lunch at Mongolian Grill
>Park Avenue trail, Arches National Park, Utah
>frest reflection in Mt. Rainier National Park, WA
>a foggy day on the trail at Mt. Rainier National Park, WA

2 comments:

Mary said...

Beautiful! I like Mary's song a lot and think about what it must have been like for her to have this role in history.

PERBS said...

I love the Magnificat too!

My favorite photos were the bell and the foggy day at Rainier.