Tuesday, December 30, 2008

ABC Wednesday--Quilter's ABC--X

We are coming toward the end of the ABCs again and have reached the ever challenging X. Not having anything on hand, I stitched up this Double X block.

It is listed as Double X by the Ladies' Art Company and in The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt in America, a fairly comprehensive quilters' resource published in 1935 by Carrie Hall. Other publishers have called it Jacks on Six, Three and Six, Old Maid's Puzzle, Kindergarten Block, and Cat's Cradle.
~
If I had really planned ahead, I could have used just a few carefully chosen quilt blocks and made it through the ABC simply by posting them under their different names.
~
ABC Wednesday, originated by Denise, now resides in an Anthology site and is also accessible by follwoing links at the ABC Wednesday Linky site.

18 comments:

Jane Hards Photography said...

You've done it again. I have found a quilting blogger in Ramsey can you believe.

Michele said...

Ah, very nice... I didn't think you'd find anything "X" in quilting but you did!!
~Michele~
(Hug)

Anonymous said...

That does look complicated! A very Happy New Year to you!

anthonynorth said...

An Xcellent quilt, there.

Leslie: said...

I just cannot believe how many quilt patterns there are! Happy New Year! :D

Cloudia said...

clever! aloha-

photowannabe said...

Well you are the clever one. I like what you did to make the Xs.

Rose said...

I'm impressed, Katney. I really didn't think there was a quilt block that began with X. Did you really stitch this up just for this post?
Have a Happy New Year!

Mary said...

I'm glad you have used all the blocks that you have! It's been very intersting. I didn't know this name for this block.

Anonymous said...

Not far to go now.
Have a great 2009 up in them thar hills.

Miss_Yves said...

Another great eXample of this art!
Happy new year!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Have done this pattern before! Very frustrating block! Thanks for sharing! Have a great New Year!!

Sherrie

Reader Wil said...

How clever to come up with a quilting X ! I wish you a fantastic new year with a lot of quilting pleasure.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

I know this one as "Old Maid's Puzzle." Glad that you were able to find an X!!

Kim from Hiraeth said...

Oh, Happy New Year!!

Rune Eide said...

I have heard of the double helix, but never of the double X (or XX?), but never mind:

A Happy New Year for you and your dear ones!

Bear Naked said...

Again another eXcellent post about your quilts.
Happy New Year.

Bear((( )))

Anonymous said...

I know this block! Great choice!