Wednesday, December 10, 2008

ABC Wednesday--U is for UFOs

ABC Wednesday--the brainchild of Mrs. Nesbitt, is winding down its third round. You can find a collection of the ABC-U posts at the ABC Anthology , as Mr. Linky is not cooperating again, you can find other participants also in the comments at Mrs. Nesbitt's.
<>
U is for UFOs!
><
Okay--you say--she has finally lost it! Claiming to be posting a Quilter's ABC all these many weeks and here she is in outer space--questionable outer space at that!

<>
But ask any quilter how many UFOs she or he has and you may get a number, or a sudden need to be elsewhere.
><
I will admit it but I will not count them. I have quite a few UFOs. I have a friend who admitted to over 50, but has gradually been whittling away at them, while adding others so that the figure does not always waver.
<>
There they are--some of mine--and as I sit here I notice in the shelf across the room several others that I might also have included when gathering to take the photo.

UFOs=Un-Finished objects

This pile is blocks gathered in swaps with other quilters or made as samples and demos in teaching classes. Do you see the apple block near the top? I have between 150 and 200 blocks such as that one collected in our annual swap of blocks representing Washington State, and now that I have retired, I am supposed to have the time to make a Washington State quilt for each of my six children and ourselves.
><
Retired! Time? What is that?
This is a baby sized flying geese quilt which only needs a bit more quilting done and binding. I should pull it out next time I need a baby quilt. (Why didn't I remember it when Lissa was born last year? I scrambled to get a quilt made for her in a hurry.)
Here is a top--again baby sized--for a little girl. It can be quickly finished when a shower looms.
This is a top made from swap blocks. In this swap, a square of fabric was sent out and friends used it and coordinating fabrics of their own to make a block. The variety of the blocks was fun to see. The top is ready--maybe needs another border. But space to baste a large top is at a premium sometimes and I don't have an urgent need to finish it quite yet.
<>
There are other tops in that pile in the first photo--just needing finishing, and when the need for the finished piece is there, they will be ready.
><
My friend Cindy posted here and here the question asked of her not long ago, and of all quilters at one time or another, "How long does it take to make a quilt?" The answer really: however long it needs. Some quilts get interrupted by quilty or non-quilty issues. Some just need to "age" a bit for the inspiration to return. Some falter waiting for just one more bit of that fabric that is no longer readily available.
<>
We quilters sometimes happen onto treasures--blocks or tops created by someone in the distant past--maybe someone in our own family or maybe found in an antique shop or on an e-Bay auction. It's like archeology, genealogy, history, and art all wrapped up into one.
><
And it goes to show that UFOs are not unique to us.

10 comments:

Gattina said...

Hahaha ! I have to note down this expression !!

Anonymous said...

That is a clever twist. I am intrigued to see the next few letters.

Rune Eide said...

I think every hobbyist have lots of UFOs as defined by you (not the other kind - that is part of mysticism). Mine are mostly photos,videos and unfinished hope page projects. Sigh.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Cleverly done. I wondered how you would get your love of quilting in this week.

Sandi McBride said...

Quilts...that should be the main cry for Winter...Pass me a Quilt!!! How lovely!
Sandi

dianasfaria.com said...

I can totally relate to this post!

Powell River Books said...

I know what you mean about unfinished objects and retirement. I am always so busy it seems I don't know how I ever had time to go to work. I finished a hooked rug this year that I started in 2002, good thing I didn't really need it right away. But it is nice to have something to pick up once in a while. I invite you to come on over to see some of my Canadian upcoast adventures for ABC Wednesday. - Margy

PERBS said...

LOL -- love your UFO's and also the term. I think I will call my projects that from now on.

spacedlaw said...

I love the geese one. Be sure to finish it. I have more hobbies than free time so I too have plenty of UFOs around...
Great U.

Mary said...

I go through my UFO's occasionally, but don't seem to pick them up and work on them. I try to finish off at least one each year. I'm as behind on blogs as I am on quilting! I guess that makes them UFO's, too.