Tuesday, September 9, 2008

ABC Wednesday--A Quilter's ABC--H

H is for Half Square Triangles.


Half square triangles are a basic part of the design of most quilt blocks. A half square triangle is made by dividing a square diagonally. You can see these half square triangles here, all of which are part of other blocks.


If you look back at some of my other Quilter's ABC posts, you will notice a lot of half square triangles as part of the blocks.


This block is made up of half square triangles and squares. It is the Hour Glass.



This next block is known to me as the Churn Dash. (I forgot it when I did C.) You will see that it also includes half square triangles. But I include it in H because it is also known as Handy Andy, or Hole in the Barn Door, or Hens and Chickens.


While looking for H blocks, I found a reference to this one, and thought that it would be appropriate to make it for this year's ABC. Quilt blocks have historically been a woman's way of expressing political opinions. I purposely did not make it in either red or in blue, though, to remain a neutral position till November.
~
The block is Road to the White House.

Denise started the ABC Wednesday meme and it is now administered by a team. Thank you to Denise and the team. You can find the ABC group no comment blog here with links to other individuals here. There is also a Mr. Linky at this address.

20 comments:

Leslie: said...

You sure are a handy dandy quilter! I'd be lost doing all that. Have a heavenly week. :D

Cath said...

Love the Handy Andy one. A very pretty pattern.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Handy indeed. It's such a traditional skill and so intrticate in detail. Excellent persoonal choice.

mannanan said...

How on earth do you remember all that. What an amazing H.Yetr more I've learned this week, thanks.

magiceye said...

beautiful creations...
very interesting post

ellen b. said...

Ahh to have the patience to put these beauties together. Enjoy...

naturglede/Randi Lind said...

Love your post today. Have a nice ABC.

Bear Naked said...

Hens and Chickens-- of course.
I forgot that one.
I was given a Hens and Chickens quilt many years ago but gave it to my son for his first place after he left home.
Thanks for the reminder, I will have to ask him where that quilt is.

Bear((( )))

The Mulligan Family said...

Your quilts are beautiful. I'm still fairly new to quilting... only know the Log Cabin pattern so far - but it seems to be serving me well.

Mary said...

Very nice Katney! I love the ABC series with quilts.

Anonymous said...

My mother was always cutting up cloth making quilting squares. I remember she did it on a lot of our worn out clothing from during the War. And when she died, we found large boxes filled with old quilt patches and it was so old the cloth was what we called "rotten" as it fell apart when handled. This post of your's brought back lots of memories of cold days and nights and people did just about everything to stay warm.

My post for H (hair) is over at Canon Pixels

kouji said...

very interesting. i hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. cool. :)

Dragonstar said...

I can't get over how many quilt designs there are. Do you have one for every letter of the alphabet?
Can't wait for X and Z ;)

Liz Hinds said...

There are so many different quilting patterns, aren't there?

Kim from Hiraeth said...

I enjoyed seeing your quilts again! : D

photowannabe said...

This requires a lot of patience...more than I have. Beautiful work and a good choice for the letter H.

Kim said...

You are so good at coming up with these :) I will have to check back to your blog when I get to working on my quilts again.

PERBS said...

Beautiful quilt blocks! I can't figure how to do triangles. . . because of the seam allowance. I wish I knew how to do it as I would try some triangle blocks. I liked several of the patterns in this post!

Barbara said...

More interesting blocks, I am enjoying reading about them.

mrsnesbitt said...

sorry I am so late... one of those weeks but I was so looking forward to seeing all the wonderful contributions. A great post Katney, I love your quilting!

Thanks so much.