Saturday, October 8, 2011

And thinking about blogging...

Back here I said "I've been thinking about blogging, Blogger, and what they do mean for me. It is a question I was asked. It is a good question for a future post."

Oh how quickly we do get distracted.

So without revealing my own hand, first let me ask you --What does blogging mean for you? (Answer in comments or write a post on your own blog and link it here--I will add a linky tool for you.) I hope that you will share. I would really like to get a good wide response.

What inspires you to blog?
How do you decide how often to post?
Why do you choose the kind of things you do to blog about?
How do you view your readers and followers? Have you met any of them? What kind of relationships have you established online? When do online friends become realtime friends?
Do you ever get a "block"--writer's block or photographer's block--and how do you get out of it?
What kind of memes do you participate in? Why do you do memes? or why not?
What does blog visiting mean to you? How often do you visit favorite blogs and bloggers? How important is that?

While you are thinking about this and hopefully answering some of it, I will do so, too and give my reflections in another post in a few days.

4 comments:

imac said...

Will have to come back to this my friend,

Katney said...

It does take some thinking about, doesn't it?. We've slipped into our groove, and I wonder if we now blog for the same reasons we started. I purposely made the linky go for a month or so so that we can visit the idea later and still share.

lotusleaf said...

Your topic is very interesting. I'll come back soon. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

Q: What inspires you to blog?
A: Mostly incongruities, to a lesser extent the desire to teach some (strange) stuff.

Q: How do you decide how often to post?
A: I did a statistical analysis of number of hits versus posting-frequency.
thrice weekly, weekdays (M-W-F) turned out to be optimal for me.

Q: Why do you choose the kind of things you do to blog about?
A: Has to be something I know quite a bit about, so it doesn't need any researching. Exception: current events.

Q: How do you view your readers and followers?
A: With 2 exceptions, as Efriends.

Q: Have you met any of them?
A: Just a handful, when I was travelling in their vicinity I couch-hopped.

Q: What kind of relationships have you established online?
A: With 2 exceptions, as Efriends.

Q: When do online friends become realtime friends?
A: Through exchange visits.


Q: Do you ever get a "block"--writer's block or photographer's block--
A: yes, almost quarterly.

Q: and how do you get out of it?
A: Prewrite 2 or 3 articles on non-current affairs to tide me over until the muse returns (takes about a week).

Q: What kind of memes do you participate in?
A: List of books read, movies seen etc.

Q: Why do you do memes?
A: Only when suffering from writers' block nowadays. I once started one, asking people to take panorama photos of the skylines from their house. It ran for several months.

Q: What does blog visiting mean to you?
A: I scan my blogroll at least every week, which is why it is kept short. I update it quarterly based in interest level of their entries.

Q: How often do you visit favorite blogs and bloggers?
A: At least weekly; daily sometimes.

Q: How important is that?
A: It structures my remaing time on this mortal coil (I'm 67) ;-)

NOT ASKED:
Q : How long have you been blogging?
A: Ten years.