Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sky Watch in Chinook Pass

A committee of wonderful bloggers keep SkyWatch Friday going smoothly. You can visit the headquarters blog here to see who has posted their skies this week.

After a lovely anniversary dinner and night at Whistlin' Jack's Lodge, we went hiking in the Wenatchee National Forest yesterday.

Most of the trees are Ponderosa Pine, Western Hemlock, and Grand Fir.
The skies are bluest blue.

A bit farther up the pass we pulled over to have a look at Fife's Peak. It is the remains of a 25,000 year old volcano--part of the line of volcanoes which includes Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens--both of which are still considered active.

The Fife name is a significant one in the Chinook Pass area. Tom Fife was one of three brothers who, with their father, immigrated from Scotland and mined in these hills. Tom left his homestead in Goose Prairie to the Boy Scouts and it is the setting of Camp Fife. (My husband and boys went to camp there, my daughter was on staff, and I did the outdoor part of my Boy Scout Leader training there. Yes, I have been a Boy Scout Leader.)
~
A patriotic man, Tom Fife tried to enlist when World War I broke out. To his disappointment, they would not take him at age 65.
~
If you stop by for PhotoHunt on Saturday, you will see another of our excursions from this trip. Some of our shadows and reflections will appear on the Picture This blog over the next few days. And some views as we went through Naches on our way there will be featured on my Yakima Valley Daily Photo blog over the weekend.

24 comments:

Daryl said...

Fabulous ... and happy belated anniversary to you two kids!

;-)

:-Daryl

Leora said...

Great views. I enjoy the stories about Tom Fife. I was a Cub Scout leader, but now that my son is a Boy Scout, I let other parents do the leading. Actually, in his troop, the older Boy Scouts do a great job of mentoring the younger boys.

Yes, those skies are a magnificent blue, with trees so tall...we don't have anything that tall here.

Kelly said...

Looks wonderful! I love and miss the mountains! Looks like the weather is a lot cooler than here! Great photos

Texas Travelers said...

Nice post and photos. Thanks for the history. I'm especially interested when I have visited an area.

Thanks for the visit,
Troy and Martha

PS: I'll bet Waldo Day was great.

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures!

Michele said...

Lovely photos... I love your post with all the neat little tidbits of information as well. Fantastic.
Mountain Retreat

Carver said...

Those are all wonderful shots. What a great place to hike. That is such a brilliant blue in the sky.

dot said...

Wow, beautiful skies and beautiful views!

imac said...

Great story and photos Katney.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful spot. My daughter and SIL just got back from a trip out there and have some wonderful memories hiking there also.

Jane Hards Photography said...

beautiful views as always.

shutter happy jenn said...

Great shots, Katney! I love it all!

My SWF photos are posted in these blogs:
Jenn Was Here and Shutter Happy Moments.

Please drop by if you have some time. Thanks.

Louise said...

These are beautiful. Thanks for taking us along and the nice story about the peak.

Unknown said...

Happy belated anniversary wishes to you.

That looks like a great place to hike, etc. Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne said...

Oh I love this sky, it really has a feeling to it. Great colours. Happy SWF.

Gemma Wiseman said...

What serene skies! And love the landscape views with them!

Rune Eide said...

Have you ever been to the top of that volcano? The view must be astounding!

Tom said...

This is great... and the information is excellent Tom Fife sounded quite a man..

Forgive this 'Copy & Paste' section of my comment.. this is to let you know that we at Sky Watch appreciate your posting and thank you for helping to make Sky Watch so good. Any problems feel free to contact me about them.

KylieM said...

Just beautiful .. how wonderful to be wandering around in that!! Lobe the sky pics all framed by the firs.

I have a skywatch here as well

Tommy said...

what a blue shy. nice catch

EG CameraGirl said...

The skies are such a lovely blue over the mountains. Thanks for the information about Tom Fife.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos, nice history lesson. Thank you.

Berit T said...

Beautiful photos and a nice place!

Paulie said...

Absolutely beautiful blue skies! You have some wonderful photo memories.