Tuesday, September 7, 2010

ABC Wednesday--H is for Hen Party

Now, honestly! Do you really think that is what I had in mind?
In the US we have bachelorette parties and they are essentially the same thing. A get together of the bride and some of her close friends before the wedding date. A last fling.

The last one I went to, we went for pizza and a movie--the bride, her sisters and sister-in-law, her step-daughter, if I remember correctly (she was 16) and me, the mother of the bride. It was pretty tame. The pizza may have been good. The movie--The Time Machine--was pretty good but kind of scary.

While we were in the UK we encountered several groups of young women out on a hen party. And let me say, if the ones we saw were typical, they really do it up as a doozy of a do.                                                          How did we know the groups were hen parties? Have a look at this group of young ladies we met at Hexham while waiting for a bus up to Hadrian's Wall. We ahd no idea what was going on. this group had arrived in their own coach--a dozen or so girls in bear suits. We had no idea what to make of it. the lady from Once Brewed who was waiting for her bus home (or was she from Twice Brewed?) said, "Oh, it's a hen party!" and got them to pose for me.
Goldilocks--the bride--and some of her group of a dozen or so slightly inebriated bears.

In London, it was angels and devils.

H is for Hen Parties.

15 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Pretty wild looking hen parties to me! How fun! And what great photos! Perfect for the H Day! Hope your week is going well!

Sylvia

Kay L. Davies said...

H is for hilarious! Thanks for a good laugh. I love that you started with a picture of hens, and the party got progressively wilder.
Kay
Alberta, Canada

Verns said...

Correct H is for hilarious... very funny love the title too.. hen party...

Hope you can drop by
My ABC Wednesday post here

~Cheryl said...

What a hoot! Loved the "bear" bottoms!

Leslie: said...

What fun! Harmlessly dressing up and enjoying a good night out! :D

Wanda said...

That's a real Hen Party...but the first picture is classic.

Unknown said...

Great choice for 'H'!
'Hen Party' -- Love it! Wonderful pics! The word for a party for the bride-to-be in Swedish is 'mohippa' (the first 'o' has an umlaut). Lots of fun!
Best wishes,
Anna

Anna's H-word-abcWed

Roger Owen Green said...

That one pic is un-BEAR-able!

Great concept that I suppose they do in US by some other name.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Mara said...

I've told my friends that if I ever get married (have to find a bloke first) I will not, under any circumstance, do anything like this! At all. But it's fun looking at other hen parties (in the early stages though, seeing them completely liquored up is not my idea of fun).

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi Katney :-)
che belle foto divertenti !!!!

imac said...

Its great to have a blast before the knot is tied.
Its also fun to see and listen to them, and to take photos.

Gattina said...

That's a funny use and nice too ! Never heard of it !

Unknown said...

When I was growing up in Midwest US, hen party was a term applied, with a tone of dismissal, for a gathering that was only women, all that clucking going on. Your wonderful photos show how much it has evolved.
Thanks for a great contribution to H Day, Helen Mac, ABC team

Wendy said...

Oh I wish I had one when I was "engaged." I love the silliness and laughter of it all. But I also love the first photo of a "real" hen-party! Thanks for making me smile :)

ChrisJ said...

Now that's an original 'H'! Great photo of the 'hens'!