Sunday, June 14, 2009

Today is Flag Day.

Our community lines the streets with flags on Flag Day and other patriotic holidays.
I intended to post a link to a site providing the history of Flag Day in the United States. While looking for a clear and easily readable version, but I discovered several discrepancies in details among the ones I found. I even found what could be considered contradictions within the same article.

So here is a summary:
  • The Continental Congress proposed that we adopt a national flag on June 14, 1777.
  • On June 14, 1877 the flag was flown from every public building as a celebration of the centennial of the national flag.
  • In ensuing years, several states declared June 14 to be Flag Day, and the regular flying of the flag at public buildings and schools became more common.
  • The design of the national flag was standardized in 1912.
  • The thirteen strips stand for the thirteen original states, the fifty stars for the current states.
  • This quote is often attributed to George Washington: We take the stars from heaven, the red from our mother country, separate it by white in stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her...
  • Flag Day was officially proclaimed by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916, and by an Act of congress in 1949.
  • Each year a presidential proclamation encourages the citizens to fly the flag during Flag Week--the week of June 14.

3 comments:

Mary said...

But I don't fly mine in the Rain...I have a wooden painted one flying today.

Thumbelina said...

Interesting history. I never knew the origin of the American flag. Now I do! I guess if ever you have another state, it would add another star to your flag.

The stripes are interesting too. I never counted that there were 13, or knew what that represented.
The "mother country" - is that the UK? The British flag has 3 colours though (red, white, blue), unless he meant that the red just represented the mother country because that colour was on the (british) flag.

Either way, it is an interesting history and you have enlightened me somewhat! Thanks.
Great photo too.

PERBS said...

I am behind on post below too so shall visit it whn I get thru commenting here.

I liked that quote from Washington. Never heard it before. Did your city not say the pledge of allegiance at 4:00 PM today? That's the time for Pacific states to do it. Everyone nation wide was saying it at same time.

We had a flag cereoney which involves a lot of music, poems etc each year at the Reserve. It started at 3:00. They also fed us pizza, chips and soda and a breakfast bar. We got free flags and a nice program. The militar bands played many songs too and also each of the military brabches theme song. I love going to it. If my photos came out, they will be on my site tomorrow.

I was surprised that our Pastor didn't say something at church. Leaving church I greeted him with Happy Flag Day and he said he didn't even know it was Flag Day. sigh