Friday, May 15, 2009

PhotoHunt--Theme: Painted

This old farm wagon doesn't look like it's seen a coat of paint in an awfully long time, but look at the building beyond. This is Toppenish, a town near me, which has chosen, over the last twenty years or so, to tie its city development to a series of murals painted by teams of professional artists.

More than seventy murals grace the city, depicting the rich history and heritage of the area, from the days of Native American dominance through the coming of the white man and development of the agricultural industry--as shown in this one.
The mountain in the scene is Mt. Adams, which I have shown you before. I am noticing that a detail of the peak is included which I had been unaware of until this morning. I posted about it at Yakima Valley Daily Photo earlier today.

Do you see it?
Tnchick is the hostess with the mostest for PhotoHunt. You can find other PhotoHunters linked at her place.

13 comments:

imac said...

Wonderful shots and looks a great place and thanks for the visit to this Arty Town.


Safari 3 post now up

PERBS said...

I could spend a few hours walking around looking at them! Neat idea!

We have a historical mural painted on a large building wall our in Orchards and one of how Main St used to look many years ago on a building on Main and of course, "Turtle Place" which is now finished and I shoudl get the rest of my blog finished and up to date. . . one day!

Love your photos and know I would love that town!

Anonymous said...

Brings great character to the township.

Tink said...

Something about beautiful paintings on buildings that feel so inviting to me. Thanks for sharing these. Nice to have you back!

marta said...

I'm so glad to see these pictures. I was looking for a picture of a wall mural but I couldn't find any. I couldn't remember what town I took the wall mural pictures. I knew I didn't have any of Toppenish but that is the town that came to mind right off.

I love how you put the wagon in the front also. Have a great weekend.

Gattina said...

Very interesting paintings !

Martha Z said...

The artist made the horse more obvious than in reality. Bishop, CA, the small town where we raised our kids has also painted murals. I think it gives a town personality.

Alice Audrey said...

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but I can't see an image of a horse in the snow on the mountain either on their painting or on your photos.

Teena in Toronto said...

The wagon in front adds to the effect!

I played too :)

lavenderlady said...

It looks like a fun place. thanks for stopping by my blog and providing links to the production of Beauty and Beast you saw. It looks like great fun.

srp said...

I have seen several small towns do this and I think it is wonderful.. a way to preserve one's history. Mine is up here.

Dragonstar said...

What a great idea to make these murals. Thanks for the horse story too - I could see it easily once I knew what I was looking for!

dixymiss said...

Great murals, Katney. I love 'em!

Joseph is one of our all time favorite getaways. There's so much to see and do ~ rich history, beautiful art, gorgeous scenery. It's a real gem!