Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Solid Color

When Craver Vii set this week's theme as "solid color" I thought "Huh?" He suggested that we all would have something in our archives that would satisfy this theme. Still thinking "Huh?" I perused my photo archives to see what I could find. Being currently very busy and having more than six years of images on my external hard disc (Four or five cameras at least one of which took 10,000 pictures before starting the count again--oh, dear--that  is a lot to go through.)

I didn't go very far back before I identified this one, from which I cropped the trees from the top. (Added benefit, it makes the image the right proportion for my prefered header size and shape.)

I wonder, though. White. From an artist's perspective it is the absense of color. So does it indeed fit the theme. Craver said solid COLOR not solid NON-COLOR.

But as an artist immersed in a family of scientists -- well, some scientists and definitely some artists and some artists who work in science--looked at from the scientific point of view white is the presence of ALL color.

Color is seen because of light reflected and light absorbed. Blue reflects all the blue lightwaves and absorbs everything else. Red reflects the red waves and absorbs the rest. So white absorbs all the lightwaves and reflects none of the colors. Therefore, we see as artists the absense of color because as scientists we know that all the colors have been absorbed.

So here is my solid color, and I will stop typing so as to keep myself out of further confusion--except to point out that the rest of the headbanger blogs are linked in my sidebar so that you can see how they interpreted the solid color theme.

5 comments:

Craver Vii said...

It's a beautiful rendition of solid color; I like it!

Your comments had me chuckling the whole way through.

I was horrified when I looked back at my golden angel, and discovered there were red gems in the wings. I had assumed the artist sprayed it all gold. But it's too late. What's up is up.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Kathy: Very neat look at the white hill with all the foot traffic.

Lew said...

Love the "absence" of color on your mountains! I suspected that the mountains would be included in your header this week.

imac said...

Nice footprints in this Solid Colour my friend.
We have snow again tonight

Rune Eide said...

That is a colour I'm very familiar with at this time of the year, but to be exact - not just today :-)