Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Back to the Future

Craver Vii presented us with the theme "Back to the Future" for this week. It caught me prepared but with a stumbling block. I had a picture ready but coming back from our Thanksgiving with family we found the wi-fi in our hotel out last night. Once again, winds in Weed, California, made a trip home interesting. (Last March in the same spot we had high winds and snow. Last night it was wind and rain.)

So, lacking the opportunity to get a shot of Nigel's De Lorean, which he restored as his senior project, I thought about what I might find along the trip that was futuristic. This post came to mind and a shot I tried to get of the two types of windmills in juxtaposition about that same time.

On our way through Oregon we passed several semis hauling portions of the new windmills. Those things are huge. I have no thought of how to contrast their size to anything. Perhaps this old photo of one of the blades being moved to its location gives a good idea. See it in comparison to the vehicles on the road behind it. This was taken in October 2008. The hills in the distance now hold at least forty or fifty of the wind machines.  
 
So I watched for a good chance at a windfarm picture, and this is the one I chose cropped to fit the header. This is part of the windfarm in the desert east of Los Angeles.
 

5 comments:

imac said...

Very neat take on Back to the future Kathy, we certainly have plenty of these over here.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Kathy: Cool shot of the windmills, they are certainly part of the future.

Craver Vii said...

I like seeing windmills. We don't have many in the Chicago area, but this being called "the Windy City," I would have thought we would see at least a few, right? I have only seen one (in Naperville), and it has a really interesting design. I think it is for artistic purposes more than for harnessing energy... I need to look into that.

Rune Eide said...

Very appropriate - the only way to go.

Liz Hinds said...

That is very futuristic and a great shot.