Monday, June 7, 2010

My World--return to the wild horses

As I said here, someday I would return to the Wild Horses Monument off I-90 near Vantage, Washington, with my hiking boots and ready to go.  Preparations included tucking my jeans inside my socks because:                          
 I also said windbreaker, but with the temp up near 80ยบ, that was replaced on the supply list with water, sunscreen, and a wide brimmed hat.

That's a long way up--and up is the word. It really isn't that great a distance, but it is up. A glimpse of some others who took up the challenge gives some perspective.

The Washington desert (yes, a desert--it's not all evergreen forest) was in bloom.




As we were reaching the summit of the trail, we got our first close peek at the wild horse sculptures along the top.
And then:










A view of the horses?

Or a view from the horses?

It was awfully hard to pick my favorite.




















For a sense of proportion, hubby took a picture of me next to one of the horses. Can you see why the camera is usually in my hands?

But, at least,  unlike my dear departed sister, he did not cut off my head.



Any rattlers? No. We were definitely alert because it is snake country, and we didn't see any. But on the way down, hubby called my attention to a lizard by the side of the trail. By the time I got there, the camera shy guy was not cooperating. All there was for the lens was the tail. do you see it?

(Does the ostrich come to mind?)


I have more pictures from the Sculpture installation, which is formally called "Grandfather Cuts Loose the Ponies" which will appear in coming weeks on my 365 photo blog.

And that was my world this week.

I am adding a link here to the story of "Grandfather Cuts Loose the Ponies."

6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What a marvelous day! And what terrific photos! I really enjoyed them and your post. Love the horse sculptures! Beautiful! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi Katney
queste foto mi piacciono molto :-)
Interessanti queste immagini di cavalli, suppongo siano fatti in ferro.
Cosa vogliono rappresentare in questo luogo ?
Bellissim esplosione di fiori colorati !
Buona giornata.

Katney said...

Rosa, I have added a link to a telling of the legend behind "Grandfather Cuts Loose the Ponies."

Kerrie said...

Great, Great pictures! Love them! hugs, Kerrie

SandyCarlson said...

Those horses are just amazing. The graffiti on some of them is an interesting touch. There's wild, and there's wild. Beautiful images.

Liz Hinds said...

Those are fantastic photos! I love the horses.