Saturday, May 1, 2010

A Walk around the Block

This morning I went for a walk around the block. For many people, that is a brief stroll--but you must understand the place where I live.

In the agricultural area where I live, a block is a mile on each side.

I know that for many a walk of four miles is nothing. In fact, I think I'm ready to go for another block, myself.
NOT!
Although a couple of dogs followed me for a bit just down the street, they got bored of it pretty quickly and no one or nothing bothered me the rest of the way...
...though I was kept under constant surveillance.


I took this from the next road over. Those trees are across the road just down from our house. The water tower is two blocks further on. Remember--a mile on a block? So the water tower is about three miles away from where I was standing. (It may be a little less, as I think that one of the blocks may be a little less than a mile.)

Agriculture in this area is diverse. Besides the hops which surround us, on our block I found apples, cherries, alfalfa, and grapevines.

I've always admired the bank of California Poppies the neighbor at the corner has each summer. Of course, it is half a mile away, and we usually only see it while passing in the car.

I really could go for another round of one of the blocks, but I will save it for another day. There is so much to do of a Saturday morning. I am consciously planning some training walks--especially for days we don't have morning activities that interfere. I have often walked the six miles to McDonald's for breakfast and called hubby to meet me there. But he has taken a job with the census, and I am afraid if I did that, I might have to walk back. Twelve miles wouldn't hurt me.

Depending partly on his schedule, we might go to Seattle next week to walk on the team of a former student of mine in the Walk for a Cure for Diabetes.


And, of course, I am starting to train once again for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure in November.

4 comments:

H.S.N PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Wow so great shots!

Paulie said...

Taking a camera with you on a long walk makes the journey seem shorter!

Katney said...

Makes it seem shorter, but actually takes longer because you stop so often.

Liz Hinds said...

What a great area you live in.

Fabulous photos for the psalm, as usual. And those old family shots are great too.