Sunday, March 15, 2009

Our Amazing Race continued

I was eager to see where the Amazing Race took the contestants on tonight's leg. Since they usually travel to another country each show, I was surprised to find that they did exactly as we did in leaving Krasnoyarsk. They boarded the Trans Siberian Railway and traveled to Novosibirsk.



This is a view from our hotel in Novosibirsk. It was a nice location. But I show it here for a bird's eye view of the Ladas. The cards the contestants drove in the race this evening were like the four on the far side of the plaza. My son described them as just like a 1978 Datsun. I asked him what the newer ones were like. He said: like a 1978 Datsun.


They drove the Ladas to do one of two tasks. They could drive a Russian snowplow--no pictures of those on our summer trip--or deliver flowers to a bride and take her to the wedding.You can see a bride in front of this tiny chapel of St. Nicholas if you look closely.
As small as it is it has a lovely mosaic of St. Nicholas. Very popular as the patron saint of Russia, he is also the patron of seafarers, prisoners, and schoolchildren, among other things.
I thought I caught a quick glimpse of this mosaic on the show, but it may have been another one, such as the one on the church below.
...which is more like the one the brides were delivered to.
After another "task" the Amazing Race contestants arrived at the pit stop, the ballet theater near this square, where Lenin still stands tall...
...flanked by the common people of Russia.


Goodness. Previews show that next week they are going to India. I wonder if they will be in the area I visited.

1 comment:

PERBS said...

I have never watched this show. I like your photos tho and am glad you can reminisce.